Sunday, April 25, 2010

Impetus for Change....

We've all experienced that one change can lead to more.....I am guessing this is because once you are open to new things you start seeing possibilities. This weekend my husband and dear friends surprised me with a change I wasn't expecting. They provided the labour to paint my living room and halls which, if you have been to my house, you know is an intimidating undertaking with almost 20 foot ceilings.

So green changed to grey within the day, and brought with it the need for more permutation. We moved the furniture that was already askew....we culled the DVD's and tapes....and then, because we moved the TV armoire to the basement, the revisions continued downstairs. We sorted books, games, movies, CD's.....We dusted, wiped, and got rid of much.

Change can be daunting, and liberating. I kept asking questions....is it just collecting dust or will I really need it again? Does it add to my life, or take up space. It is amazing how quickly you can sort things out with the right question. I don't really care if I keep a book I still haven't finished, but I still can't bear to part with some of my favorite stories that I read to the kids when they were little. Phantom Tollbooth, Enid Blyton's books and the stories from The Land of Bearly There, are among those that I still want to flip through from time to time for the sake of nostalgia.

These last six months have been all about modification. My work schedule, sleep schedule, really everything about what I do has revolved around whether Mik was doing okay. My garden has been through a metamorphous as we had to dig up beds to fix our pool....Now it is completely reconfigured and replanted. So, when Friday night came and Leith turned into Home Depot instead of the restaurant, another transformation began.

2 comments:

  1. I am elated as well as exhilarated to learn that you cannot part with your Enid Blyton stories, at least from your mind. I too used to read a lot of Enid Blyton books and was thus enamored to them. Thus, my affection for Enid Blyton and her books led me to write and publish a book on her, titled, The Famous Five: A Personal Anecdotage (www.bbotw.com).
    Stephen Isabirye

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well now I have to get that book......my kids will want to read it....though I won't read it to them!

    ReplyDelete