Thursday, August 5, 2010

Scars and Marks

Soon Mik will be returning to school. She is actually still finishing Grade 10 right now....but after Labour Day she will be back to the routine of life. I know she is looking forward to ordinary days after the chaos an uncertainty she has faced. I have decided to do something new too. I haven't quite figured out what that might be, but my soul has been craving for a new routine.

Mik also turns 16 in September. I lament that she will not be able to get her Learner's License to drive. She has tried to convince me that because of the heartbreak, she would be consoled by a tattoo. I laugh at her persistence with this. She wants something to mark this moment in time. We have not relented yet.....but I can feel my arm get rubbery every time she sets up the dialogue on all the reasons she feels it is appropriate. I'll never hear the end of it from her siblings. Trying always to be fair isn't easy when the game is changed - or the child. And so, as I masticate over this body altering decision, bearing in mind she has one heck of a scar that is worth a lifetime of memories...

No comments:

Post a Comment